21 June, 2006

My Heroes: (2) Paul Cezanne

Mont St Victoire
(Note: For technical reasons I changed this image August 2006. There are many others views of this subject that would have equally suited.)
Paul Cezanne painted Mont St Victoire, near Aix-en-Provence, tirelessly over many years, yet he would always find something new to show. I find this picture captivating, the range of colours convey an emotional impact that is rare in landscape painting. He 'saw' what others could not and it's possible to see the pre-figuring of cubism in the way he began to break the surface into shapes of a single colour.

Paul Cezanne 1839-1906, self portrait
Pablo Picasso called Cezanne "...the father of us all" and hence he is often described as the father of modern art. He came from a background of wealth but, although he worked in Paris for a while, he returned to his home town of Aix, always remaining a social outsider.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jim said...

He loved that mountain, and the whole landscape, the colors are wonderful and fresh, I like the little touches that he applied the paint with, very dedicated and patient man.

Banker family, you made me wonder just now, about the source of his family, where they came from further back. Picasso was right.

Friday, June 30, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, for visiting my blog, and your kind words upon my poem.

"The essence," I suppose, was what I'd caught, before knowing Cezanne's life...

His later life was one of "outsider" though..I envisioned a troubled childhood.

The poem, was really more about me, than Cezanne, when it came right down to it.

Thanks, for your interest. I look forward to reading your further views upon it.

Best Wishes, adam.

Sunday, July 23, 2006  
Blogger Bob said...

My favourite painter. I have a reproduction of a still life of his above my piano.

Friday, September 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home