26 August, 2006

My Heroes: (11) Homer Simpson

Well, OK. Homer isn't exactly the hero type but I want to celebrate The Simpsons in general and Homer in particular. As Bart Simpson once said of Krusty, it's "funny on so many levels". The Simpsons seems to be a format in which it's creators can super-impose all sorts of pastiches of popular culture but you can still watch an episode in ignorance of that and enjoy the humour that is both visual (cartoon slapstick) and cerebral (dialogue). There is a huge company of background characters that can be bought out as required to suit any situation. Krusty the Klown, serves as the stereotypical cynical showbiz type and the Comic Book Shop Guy is the sarcastic self-delusional nerd but Homer is the real star. I think there's a little bit of Homer in every man's character. Blimey.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jim said...

Bazza, I have had under my tutelege, children ages 6-30 years, and they all love this guy, HS, he crosses all class boundaries and educational lines, he is a true hero. Wacky but true.

Saturday, August 26, 2006  
Blogger Bob said...

I don't know this programme. My friend likes it though.

Incidentally the author of the novel 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night' (that you listed in your profile) lives five or so minutes walk from me in East Oxford.

Sunday, August 27, 2006  
Blogger Bazza said...

Jim: Young Sonny (18 months) watches it even though he doesn't know what's happening and I know of several Baby Boomers who enjoy it.
Rob: Many people, including TV schedulers, assume because of the cartoon format it must be only for kids but I see Channel Four (UK) is now showing it at 9pm.

Sunday, August 27, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home