23 November, 2006

My Heroes (21) June Tabor


June Tabor is an English folk-singer in the traditional style with an instantly recognisable voice. Here are some comments about her from various places:
"Tabor has used her amazing voice to reinvent and experiment with both contemporary and traditional songs"
"Anyone who has heard June Tabor sing isn't apt to forget the experience. Her voice is one of the few genuinely unique vehicles of the folk world: haunting, powerful, and with a deep feeling for the song, it has won praise and admiration beyond the confines of 'folk'."
"I prefer her traditional and more traditional-soundings songs to her contemporary pop-ish stuff, but will listen even to songs that aren't really to my taste for the wonder of her voice--she is a masterful interpreter of all kinds of songs. She might be an acquired taste because she's not for the easily depressed--her material is usually deep, soulful, painful, though she does some wonderful, lively, funny traditional material, too."
If you would like to hear some of her music click here to go to a brilliant site where you can scroll down to listen to some of her wonderful interpretations of some songs about The Great War. I recommend 'No Man's Land' & 'And The Band Played Waltzing Matilda'. They also have the beautiful versions by Eric Bogle, who wrote the songs. This site happily lets you know that you may download any of these songs in MP3 format, free of charge.

However, I warn you that you need to be in a mellow, introspective mood to listen to these songs. They are extremely moving and, if you have any sensibility, you will need to wipe away the tears. Dona Nobis Pacem.

18 Comments:

Blogger Deepak Gopi said...

hi:)
goodday and a
nice weekend.

Friday, November 24, 2006  
Blogger Bazza said...

And I wish you the same Deepak. Nice to hear from you again.

Friday, November 24, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bazza-
Interesting post! I've added a link from my WTIT site to your site.

Bud

Saturday, November 25, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bazza: I've never heard this singer, but she sounds like the kind of vocalist I would enjoy listening to in the car.
I know it's overdue, but I have a link to you up at It’s A Blog Eat Blog World

I appreciate your recent comments!
Have a great weekend,
Mo

Saturday, November 25, 2006  
Blogger Bazza said...

bud & morgan (sounds like a comedy duo; it is a comedy duo!): Thanks guys, I will reciprocate when I shake off this bout of apathy.

Saturday, November 25, 2006  
Blogger slaghammer said...

She has a haunting voice.
Re: And the Band Played Waltzing Mathilda, an amazing rendition, heavy.

Sunday, November 26, 2006  
Blogger Bazza said...

Hi slaggy, did you know of her before?
Or did you follow my link?

Sunday, November 26, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for showcasing a female musician. I will check her out. The reviews sound great.

Sunday, November 26, 2006  
Blogger Bob said...

I believe she studied at Oxford.
I heard her talking in a recent documentary about British folk music. She was saying something like electric folk is okay but don't ask me along! She is a very professional musician.

My favourite folk musician is Robin Williamson (of the incredible string band). Pentangle are good too.

Monday, November 27, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Dad - I had never heard of her but I followed your link and listened - amazing. You know if I had a Blog, and if I listed my heros you'd be No.1! Ruthie xxx

Monday, November 27, 2006  
Blogger CE said...

I used to listen a lot to English and Celtic folksongs. Thank you for the link.

Monday, November 27, 2006  
Blogger Bazza said...

mimi: She is an acquired taste, Mimi, but there can be no denying her talent.

rob: Thanks for that extra info; I believe that she worked as a professional librarian for most of her career. We don’t look after our national treasures very well, do we?
I also liked The Incredible String Band and I saw Pentangle play a few times.

ruthie: Ah, Ruthie, you are so sweet! xxx

imemine: You are welcome. Thanks for looking in.

Monday, November 27, 2006  
Blogger slaghammer said...

Hey baz, that was the first I heard of her. She reminds me of Margot Timmons of the Cowboy Junkies.

Friday, December 01, 2006  
Blogger Bazza said...

slaghammer: That's someone else that I'll have to look for! Thanks for that!

Thursday, December 07, 2006  
Blogger bazza said...

My new blog, To Discover Ice, is at: http://todiscoverice.blogspot.com/ See you there!
Bazza

Thursday, August 12, 2010  
Anonymous John said...

I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post!

Monday, March 19, 2012  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The things i have observed in terms of personal computer memory is the fact that there are specifications such as SDRAM, DDR and the like, that must fit the specific features of the mother board. If the personal computer's motherboard is reasonably current and there are no main system issues, replacing the memory space literally normally requires under 1 hour. It's one of many easiest personal computer upgrade procedures one can visualize. Thanks for sharing your ideas. [url=http://tutledy.ru/muzhchina-telets.html]мужчина телец[/url]

Thursday, January 31, 2013  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

valium 10mg diazepam valium pics - valium side effects men

Thursday, May 30, 2013  

Post a Comment

<< Home